Sid Meier, the founder and creative director of Firaxis, will be a featured speaker at UMBC’s Digital Entertainment Conference to be held on the UMBC Campus on Saturday, April 29, 2006. Meier is the programmer and designer of some of the most commercially and critically successful computer games of all time including Civilization and Railroad Tycoon.
The Digital Entertainment Conference has been organized by the UMBC Game Developer’s Club, an organization of students interested in developing interactive computer games. This free event will be held from 11:00am to 5:00pm in Lecture Hall 5 of UMBC’s Engineering and Computer Science building. In the morning, from 11:00 to 12:00, you can learn how to create a job winning portfolio from Seth Spaulding, the Art Director of Firaxis. In the afternoon, from 2:00 to 5:00, hear speakers from Baltimore area game companies on all aspects of game development, art, programming, production and game design. The speakers include
- Iterative Design: Finding the Fun, Early and Often, Sid Meier – Creative Director, Firaxis
- Creating an effective portfolio, Seth Spaulding – Art Director, Firaxis
- Game Production: Herding Cats, Dan Magaha – Producer, Firaxis
- Game Production: Herding More Cats, Barry Caudill, Executive Producer, Firaxis
- Tools for Game Development, Katie Hirsch – Programmer/Artist, Breakaway Games
- Software Engineering, Ryan Mcfall – Programmer, Day 1 Studios
This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested in getting an insider’s view of the game industry, For more information, visit the UMBC Game Developer’s Club web page.