UMBC ebiquity
myUMBC goes Web2.0

myUMBC goes Web2.0

Akshay Java, 1:00pm 31 August 2007

myUMBC is the student, faculty portal for UMBC students. It has served as an internal website andmyumbc is an important resource for the community. Every UMBC student has at some point used it to register for classes, request for transcripts or view account information. For long it had been a very functional and utilitarian site but thanks to the commendable efforts from OIT, it has been completely revamped – and I must say that they have done a fantastic job at it! In the world of AJAX and Web2.0, I am proud to say that myUMBC is not left behind. I really like what they have done in terms of making it more like a social media site. Students can perform the regular tasks like register for classes etc, but the most interesting feature is that they can share their calendars, receive alerts, interact with the campus community and share videos: A true hallmark of user generated content. Another neat feature is that we can vote for events digg style — making them ‘pawpular’ (Go Retrievers!). I think it is fantastic that UMBC is now making its internal site ready for the myspace, facebook and youtube generation. THIS is the future of all intranets — be it in academia or corporate world.