Karuna Pande Joshi
Primary Role:Principal Faculty
Secondary Role: M.S. Alumnus
Secondary Role: Ph.D. AlumnusGraduation date: December 2012
Unversity of Maryland, Baltimore County
Department: Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
Street: 1000 Hilltop CircleCountry: USA
Blog URL: http://www.jaktec.com/blog/
Biography: Karuna P Joshi is a Research Assistant Professor at UMBC whose primary research area is cloud computing and Healthcare IT. She has developed a framework to automate the acquisition and consumption of cloud based services. She is also working in collaboration with NIST to develop standards for Cloud Usability. Dr. Joshi has been awarded grants by NSF and TEDCO to explore commercial opportunities for her research and has created a start-up on cloud technologies. She received her MS and PhD in Computer Science from UMBC, where she was twice awarded the IBM PhD Fellowship. Apart from cloud services, her research interests also include Healthcare analytics, Databases, Web Technologies and Data mining. Karuna P Joshi has over 20 years of experience primarily as Cloud researcher and an IT Manager. She is the owner and founder of JAKTec (http://www.jaktec.com) that provides products and consulting in Cloud computing services. She has also worked for the International Monetary Fund for nearly a decade. She has also worked for MORENet, Missouri and Silverline Industries Ltd. in India. Her managerial experience includes Portfolio Management, Program/Project Management and Change Management. She has managed projects across various domains including Databases, Web Content Management, Document Management, Web/Database Integration, Helpdesk Applications, IT Knowledge/Information Management, Facilities Applications and Network/Telecom Applications.
25 Refereed Publications
1. Brian Stanton et al., "Framework for Cloud Usability", InProceedings, HCI International 2015, August 2015, 27 downloads.
2. Amit Hendre et al., "A Semantic Approach to Cloud Security and Compliance", InProceedings, 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), June 2015, 50 downloads.
3. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "TCO for Cloud Services: A Framework", Article, EDUCAUSE ECAR Working Groups , April 2015, 1 download.
4. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Automating Cloud Service Level Agreements using Semantic Technologies", InProceedings, CLaw Workshop, IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E), March 2015, 109 downloads.
5. Karuna Pande Joshi, "Cloud Data Management Policies: Security and Privacy Checklist", InProceedings, 2nd International IBM Cloud Academy Conference ICA CON 2014, Atlanta, May 2014, 216 downloads.
6. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "USM Community Cloud: VCL-based Academic Cloud", InProceedings, 2nd International IBM Cloud Academy Conference ICA CON 2014, Atlanta, May 2014, 321 downloads.
7. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Automating Cloud Services Lifecycle through Semantic technologies", Article, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing, January 2014, 667 downloads.
8. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A policy-based cloud broker for the VCL platform", Article, International Journal of Cloud Computing, January 2013, 526 downloads.
9. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Workshop on Analytics for Big Data Generated by Healthcare and Personalized Medicine Domain", InProceedings, Conference of the Center for Advanced Studies on Collaborative Research (CASCOn 2012), November 2012.
10. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A Policy-based Approach to Smart Cloud Services", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Annual Service Research and Innovation Institute Global Conference, July 2012, 773 downloads.
11. Kathleen Weaver et al., "Parents Views And Rules About Technology: As Told By Their Middle School Children in Hungary and India", InProceedings, Cultural Attitudes Towards Technology and Communication 2012, June 2012, 110 downloads.
12. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Policy based Cloud Services on a VCL platform", InProceedings, Proceedings of the first International IBM Cloud Academy Conference (ICA CON 2012), April 2012, 1150 downloads.
13. Anupam Joshi et al., "A Policy Driven Semantic Approach to Data Usage Management", InProceedings, DUMW Workshop in conjunction with WWW 2012, April 2012, 541 downloads.
14. Karuna Pande Joshi, "DC Proposal: Automation of Service Lifecycle on the Cloud by Using Semantic Technologies", InProceedings, Proceedings of tenth International Semantic Web Conference, Part II, October 2011, 640 downloads.
15. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Determining value co-creation opportunity in B2B services", InProceedings, Proceedings of SRII Global Conference 2011, March 2011, 1372 downloads.
16. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Managing the Quality of Virtualized Services", InProceedings, Proceedings of the SRII Global Conference 2011, March 2011, 759 downloads.
17. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "User-centric Smart Services on the Cloud", InBook, The Smart Internet, October 2010, 745 downloads.
18. David Chapman et al., "Scientific Services on the Cloud ", InBook, Handbook of Cloud Computing, September 2010, 578 downloads.
19. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Policy Driven Negotiations for Managing Virtualized Services on the Cloud", InProceedings, Proceedings of 19th Annual Frontiers in Service Conference, Sweden, June 2010, June 2010, 475 downloads.
20. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., " Integrated Lifecycle of IT Services in a Cloud Environment (Detailed paper)", InProceedings, In proceedings of The Third International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2009), April 2010, 1255 downloads.
21. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "User-centric Smart Services", Proceedings, (Invited paper) in proceedings of CASCON 2009, November 2009, 1291 downloads.
22. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Quality metrics for Virtualized IT Services on the Cloud", InProceedings, Proceedings of 18th Annual Frontiers in Service Conference, Hawaii, 2009, October 2009.
23. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Integrated Lifecycle of IT Services in a Cloud Environment (extended abstract)", InProceedings, In proceedings of The Third International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2009), October 2009, 1249 downloads.
24. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "On Using a Warehouse to Analyze Web Logs", InCollection, Distributed and Parallel Databases, March 2003, 1900 downloads.
25. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Warehousing and Mining Web Logs", InProceedings, Workshop on Web Information and Data Management, 1999 ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM'99), November 1999, 2567 downloads.
6 Non-Refereed Publications
1. Brian Stanton et al., "Framework for Cloud Usability", TechReport, NISTIR, August 2014, 98 downloads.
2. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A Semantic Approach to Automate Service Management in the Cloud ", TechReport, UMBC Tech report TR-CS-11-02, June 2011, 494 downloads.
3. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A Framework for Relating Frontstage and Backstage Quality in Virtualized Services ", TechReport, TR-CS-09-01, May 2009, 1025 downloads.
4. Filip Perich et al., "Query Routing and Processing in Mobile Ad-Hoc Environments", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, November 2001, 3854 downloads.
5. Anupam Joshi et al., "On Mining Web Access Logs", TechReport, University of Maryland Baltimore County, October 1999, 2956 downloads.
6. Karuna Pande Joshi, "Analysis of Data Mining Algorithms", TechReport, UMBC, March 1997, 5253 downloads.
Karuna Pande Joshi is associated with 5 projects: Hide the list...