Primary Role:Principal FacultyCompany:
City: BaltimoreCountry: USA
Biography: Dr. Milton Halem is a research professor in the UMBC Computer Science and Electrical Engineering department. He also holds an Emeritus position as Chief Information Research Scientist to the Director of the Earth Sciences Directorate at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Prior to retiring in 2002, Dr. Halem served in the joint capacity as Assistant Director for Information Sciences and Chief Information Officer for the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Dr. Halem provided the strategic information science and technology focus and oversight for the entire mission critical programs and projects at the Center. He is most noted for his ground breaking research in simulation studies of space observing systems and for development of four dimensional data assimilation for weather and climate prediction. Over the years, his achievements have earned him numerous awards including the NASA Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement, the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership, and NASA�s highest award; the NASA Distinguished Service Medal in 1996.Dr. Halem is also a noted screen printmaker of Art from Space.
Milton Halem has 10 authored publications: Hide the list...
10 Refereed Publications
1. Curt Tilmes et al., "Tracking Provenance of Earth Science Data", Article, Earth Science Informatics, November 2010, 324 downloads.
2. David Chapman et al., "Scientific Services on the Cloud ", InBook, Handbook of Cloud Computing, September 2010, 300 downloads.
3. Curt Tilmes et al., "Provenance Artifact Identification in the Atmospheric Composition Processing System (ACPS)", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, February 2010, 151 downloads.
4. Jaewook Kim et al., "Semantic Similarity Analysis of XML Schema using Grid Computing", InProceedings, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, August 2009.
5. Milton Halem et al., "Providing Gridded Atmospheric Radiance Products and Services from MODIS and AIRS Instruments on NASA's Aqua Satellite", Article, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2008., February 2009.
6. Milton Halem et al., "Service-Oriented Atmospheric Radiances (SOAR): Gridding and Analysis Services for Multisensor Aqua IR Radiance Data for Climate Studies", Article, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, January 2009.
7. Milton Halem et al., "SOAR: A System for the Analysis of Atmospheric Radiances", InProceedings, EOS Transactions, December 2007.
8. Milton Halem et al., " A Web Service Tool (SOAR) for the Dynamic Generation of L1 Grids of Coincident AIRS, AMSU and MODIS Satellite Sounding Radiance Data for Climate Studies ", Article, EOS Transactions, June 2007.
9. Milton Halem et al., "Sensor Web Design Studies for Realtime Dynamic Congestion Pricing", Proceedings, PerTrans07, March 2007, 2326 downloads.
10. Milton Halem et al., "A Mass Storage System Administrator Autonomic Assistant", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Autonomic Computing, June 2005, 1270 downloads.