Numi: Using Collaborative Agents to Enrich Service Environments
Status: Past project
A network of infostations offering high bandwidth islands of data connectivity has often been suggested as a viable alternative to cellular WAN for providing network connectivity for mobile devices. Current data management models proposed for such networks treat these infostations mainly as passive entities that offer devices in range, access to needed information. In this paper, we propose a novel approach wherein infostations actively participate in delivering content even to devices that are not in range. Other participating mobile devices that have excess spare capacity are used as carrier nodes to transport data towards remote devices. Short range wireless technologies enabling creation of ad-hoc peer-to-peer networking capabilities between devices are used to form transient communities to exchange information. The infostations are responsible for selecting appropriate carrier devices to use so that these carriers meet the device in need at the appropriate time to participate in this collaboration. Through this, dependency on the more expensive WAN networks is minimized. We present a design of our proposed framework and its components along with a prototype implementation.
Start Date: April 2002
End Date: January 2005
Sethuram Balaji Kodeswaran
Olga Vladi Ratsimor
There are 3 associated publications: Hide the list...
3 Refereed Publications
1. Sethuram Balaji Kodeswaran et al., "Using Peer-to-Peer Data Routing for Infrastructure-based Wireless Networks ", InProceedings, First IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications , March 2003, 2090 downloads.
2. Olga Vladi Ratsimor et al., "Combining Infrastructure and Ad hoc Collaboration For Data Management in Mobile Wireless Networks", InProceedings, Workshop on Ad hoc Communications and Collaboration in Ubiquitous Computing Environments, November 2002, 2529 downloads.
3. Sethuram Balaji Kodeswaran et al., "Numi: A Framework for Collaborative Data Management in a Network of InfoStations", InProceedings, UMBC SRC, November 2002, 3909 downloads.
There are 2 associated resources: Hide the list...
1. NumiCSCW02 slides, Presentation.
2. NumiPerCom03 slides, Presentation.