Alumnus, Ph.D. Alumnus
Code 619, Greenbelt, MD 20771, USA
Graduated in May 2011
Curt Tilmes is currently the technical lead on two Ozone processing projects: the Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) Science Investigator-led Processing System (SIPS) which has been processing ozone data from the Earth Observing System's Aura spacecraft since its launch in 2004, and the Ozone Product Evaluation and Analysis Tool Element (PEATE) which is evaluates data from the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS) Preparatory Project (NPP).
Curt also played a key role in the MODIS (Moderate-resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) Emergency Backup System (MEBS), and was the lead system architect of the MODIS Data Production System (MODAPS) that has been processing data from the EOS Terra and Aqua spacecraft since their launches in 1999 and 2002.
He holds BS degrees in Computer Engineering and Computer Science from Virginia Tech, and MS degrees in Computer Science and System Engineering from Johns Hopkins University and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, and M. Halem, "Tracking Provenance of Earth Science Data", Article, Earth Science Informatics, November 2010, 1064 downloads.
- C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, and M. Halem, "Provenance Artifact Identification in the Atmospheric Composition Processing System (ACPS)", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, February 2010, 666 downloads, 1 citation.
- M. Halem, C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, D. Chapman, and P. Nguyen, "Providing Gridded Atmospheric Radiance Products and Services from MODIS and AIRS Instruments on NASA's Aqua Satellite", Article, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2008., February 2009.
- C. Tilmes, M. Linda, and A. J. Fleig, "Atmospheric Composition Processing System (ACPS)", Article, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, January 2009.
- M. Halem, N. Most, C. Tilmes, K. Stewart, Y. Yesha, D. Chapman, and P. Nguyen, "Service-Oriented Atmospheric Radiances (SOAR): Gridding and Analysis Services for Multisensor Aqua IR Radiance Data for Climate Studies", Article, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, January 2009.
- C. Tilmes, "Standardizing Interfaces for External Access to Data and Processing for the NASA Ozone Product Evaluation And Test Element", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 2008 Geoinformatics Conference , July 2008.
- C. Tilmes and A. J. Fleig, "Provenance Tracking in an Earth Science Data Processing System", InProceedings, Proceedings of Provenance and Annotation of Data and Processes: Second International Provenance and Annotation Workshop, Ipaw 2008, , June 2008, 1595 downloads.
- C. Tilmes, A. J. Fleig, and M. Linda, "Atmospheric Composition Processing System (ACPS): Evolution from instrument-based to measurement-based processing", Article, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2007., January 2008.
- M. Halem, Y. Yesha, C. Tilmes, D. Chapman, N. Most, and A. Bertolli, "SOAR: A System for the Analysis of Atmospheric Radiances", InProceedings, EOS Transactions, December 2007.
- M. Halem, Y. Yesha, C. Tilmes, D. Chapman, M. Goldberg, and L. Zhou, "A Web Service Tool (SOAR) for the Dynamic Generation of L1 Grids of Coincident AIRS, AMSU and MODIS Satellite Sounding Radiance Data for Climate Studies", Article, EOS Transactions, June 2007.
- C. Tilmes, M. Linda, and A. J. Fleig, "Development of two Science Investigator-led Processing Systems (SIPS) for NASA's Earth Observation System (EOS)", InProceedings, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2004, December 2004.