Michael A. Grasso
Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, and Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Baltimore, MD 21250
Graduated in May 1997
Michael Grasso is a Physician and Computer Scientist with a background in Internal Medicine and Clinical Informatics. He holds a medical degree from the George Washington University and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Maryland Baltimore County. He is a member of the Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society in the Computing Sciences, the Kane-King-Dodek Honor Society in Reproductive Medicine, and the William Beaumont Medical Research Honor Society. He completed a residency at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and is board certified in Internal Medicine. He has been awarded more than $1,000,000 in grant funding from the National Institutes of Health and has authored more than 30 scholarly papers and abstracts. The focus of his research has been to develop new technologies that expand the scope of medicine and increase the diagnostic capabilities of physicians at the point of care. His research interests include Electronic Health Records, Clinical Data Management, Clinical Imaging Systems, Clinical Simulation and Virtual Reality Systems, Computational Medicine, Software Engineering, Human Factors, Speech-Based Systems, Handheld and Mobile Computing, and Bioinformatics. He is also a semi-professional trumpet player and is interested in the specific medical needs of performing artists, especially instrumental musicians. He is currently an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Emergency Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and an Adjunct Assistant Research Professor of Computer Science at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
- A. Kench, V. P. Janeja, Y. Yesha, N. Rishe, M. A. Grasso, and A. Niskar, "Clinico-genomic Data Analytics for Precision Diagnosis and Disease Management", InProceedings, International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), November 2015, 584 downloads.
- Y. Feng, V. P. Janeja, Y. Yesha, N. Rishe, M. A. Grasso, and A. Niskar, "Poster: Classifying primary outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis: Knowledge discovery from clinical trial metadata", InProceedings, 2015 IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational Advances in Bio and Medical Sciences (ICCABS), November 2015, 329 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, A. C. Comer, D. D. DiRenzo, Y. Yesha, and N. Rishe, "Using big data to evaluate the association between periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis", InProceedings, AMIA Annual Symphosium, November 2015, 457 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, D. D. DiRenzo, Y. Yesha, N. Rishe, and A. Niskar, "Validation of a Large Rheumatoid Arthritis Cohort and Preventive Health Screening", Article, Arthritis & Rheunatology, November 2015.
- V. Korolev, M. A. Grasso, and A. Joshi, "On Use of Machine Learning Techniques and Genotypes for Prediction of Chronic Diseases", InProceedings, AMIA Annual Symposium, November 2013.
- D. Dhariwal, A. Joshi, and M. A. Grasso, "Text and Ontology Driven Clinical Decision Support System", Proceedings, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, October 2013, 649 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, D. Dalvi, S. Das, V. Korolev, and Y. Yesha, "Genetic information for chronic desease prediction", InProceedings, Bioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops (BIBMW), November 2012.
- A. Lahane, Y. Yesha, M. A. Grasso, A. Joshi, and e., "Detection of Unsafe Action from Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Video", InProceedings, Proceedings of ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, January 2012, 1163 downloads.
- J. Martineau, R. Mokashi, D. Chapman, M. A. Grasso, M. Brady, Y. Yesha, Y. Yesha, A. Cardone, and A. Dima, "Sub-cellular Feature Detection and Automated Extraction of Collocalized Actin and Myosin Regions", InProceedings, Proceedings of ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, January 2012, 953 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, "The Effect of Computerized Resident Sign-Out on Clarity", Proceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2009 Annual Symposium, November 2009, 1743 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, T. Finin, X. Zhu, A. Joshi, and Y. Yesha, "Video Summarization of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomies", InProceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2009 Annual Symposium, November 2009, 1530 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, "A computerized approach to glycemic control in critical illness", Proceedings, American College of Physicians, Maryland Regional Associates Meeting, Baltimore Maryland, May 2008.
- M. A. Grasso and e., "Gastrointestinal bleeding from arteriovenous malformations in recipients of left ventricular assist devices", Proceedings, Journal of Cardiac Failure, September 2007.
- M. A. Grasso and e., "Accuracy of the suspected blood indicator in detecting red lesions during wireless capsule endoscopy", Proceedings, American College of Physicians, Maryland Regional Associates Meeting, Baltimore Maryland, May 2007.
- M. A. Grasso, "Handheld computer application for medical disaster management", Proceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2006 Annual Fall Symposium, November 2006, 1457 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso and e., "Survey of handheld computing among medical students", Article, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, June 2006.
- M. A. Grasso, "Clinical applications of handheld computing", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 17th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2004.
- M. A. Grasso, "The long-term adoption of speech recognition in medical applications", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 16th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2003, 12 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, "Interdisciplinary computer science, guest editor introduction", Article, ACM Crossroads, March 2003, 987 downloads.
- M. A. Grasso, "Structured speech input for clinical data collection", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2002, 6 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, D. Ebert, and T. Finin, "The Integrality of Speech in Multimodal Interfaces", Article, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, November 1998, 2965 downloads, 69 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, D. Ebert, and T. Finin, "Acceptance of a Speech Interface for Biomedical Data Collection", Article, Proceedings of the AMIA 1997 Annual Fall Symposium, October 1997, 1995 downloads, 11 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, "Speech Input in Multimodal Environments: Effects of Perceptual Structure on Speed, Accuracy, and Acceptance", PhdThesis, May 1997, 2319 downloads, 1 citation.
- M. A. Grasso and T. Finin, "Task Integration in Multimodal Speech Recognition Environments", Article, Crossroads, April 1997, 2169 downloads, 10 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, "Automated speech recognition in medical applications", Article, MD Computing, January 1995, 15 citations.
- M. A. Grasso and C. Grasso, "Feasibility study of voice-driven data collection in animal drug toxicology studies", Article, Computers in Biology and Medicine, July 1994, 14 citations.
- M. A. Grasso, D. Ebert, and T. Finin, "The Effect of Perceptual Structure on Multimodal Speech Recognition Interfaces", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, January 1998, 548 downloads.
- Text and Ontology Driven Clinical Decision Support System, Assistant Professor