Michael A. Grasso
Primary Role:Affiliated FacultyGraduation date: May 1997
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Department: Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
City: BaltimoreURL: http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~mgrass2/
Biography: Michael Grasso is a Physician and Computer Scientist with a background in Internal Medicine and Clinical Informatics. He holds a medical degree from the George Washington University and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Maryland Baltimore County. He is a member of the Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society in the Computing Sciences, the Kane-King-Dodek Honor Society in Reproductive Medicine, and the William Beaumont Medical Research Honor Society. He completed a residency at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and is board certified in Internal Medicine. He has been awarded more than $1,000,000 in grant funding from the National Institutes of Health and has authored more than 30 scholarly papers and abstracts. The focus of his research has been to develop new technologies that expand the scope of medicine and increase the diagnostic capabilities of physicians at the point of care. His research interests include Electronic Health Records, Clinical Data Management, Clinical Imaging Systems, Clinical Simulation and Virtual Reality Systems, Computational Medicine, Software Engineering, Human Factors, Speech-Based Systems, Handheld and Mobile Computing, and Bioinformatics. He is also a semi-professional trumpet player and is interested in the specific medical needs of performing artists, especially instrumental musicians. He is currently an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Emergency Medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and an Adjunct Assistant Research Professor of Computer Science at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
26 Refereed Publications
1. Anuja Kench et al., "Clinico-genomic Data Analytics for Precision Diagnosis and Disease Management", InProceedings, International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), November 2015, 432 downloads.
2. Yuanyuan Feng et al., "Poster: Classifying primary outcomes in rheumatoid arthritis: Knowledge discovery from clinical trial metadata", InProceedings, 2015 IEEE 5th International Conference on Computational Advances in Bio and Medical Sciences (ICCABS), November 2015, 268 downloads.
3. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Using big data to evaluate the association between periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis", InProceedings, AMIA Annual Symphosium, November 2015, 380 downloads.
4. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Validation of a Large Rheumatoid Arthritis Cohort and Preventive Health Screening", Article, Arthritis & Rheunatology, November 2015.
5. Vladimir Korolev et al., "On Use of Machine Learning Techniques and Genotypes for Prediction of Chronic Diseases", InProceedings, AMIA Annual Symposium, November 2013.
6. Deepal Dhariwal et al., "Text and Ontology Driven Clinical Decision Support System", Proceedings, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Annual Symposium, October 2013, 562 downloads.
7. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Genetic information for chronic desease prediction", InProceedings, Bioinformatics and Biomedicine Workshops (BIBMW), November 2012.
8. Ashwini Lahane et al., "Detection of Unsafe Action from Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy Video", InProceedings, Proceedings of ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, January 2012, 1042 downloads.
9. Justin Martineau et al., "Sub-cellular Feature Detection and Automated Extraction of Collocalized Actin and Myosin Regions", InProceedings, Proceedings of ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, January 2012, 814 downloads.
10. Michael A. Grasso, "The Effect of Computerized Resident Sign-Out on Clarity", Proceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2009 Annual Symposium, November 2009, 1604 downloads.
11. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Video Summarization of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomies", InProceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2009 Annual Symposium, November 2009, 1438 downloads.
12. Michael A. Grasso, "A computerized approach to glycemic control in critical illness", Proceedings, American College of Physicians, Maryland Regional Associates Meeting, Baltimore Maryland, May 2008.
13. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Gastrointestinal bleeding from arteriovenous malformations in recipients of left ventricular assist devices", Proceedings, Journal of Cardiac Failure, September 2007.
14. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Accuracy of the suspected blood indicator in detecting red lesions during wireless capsule endoscopy", Proceedings, American College of Physicians, Maryland Regional Associates Meeting, Baltimore Maryland, May 2007.
15. Michael A. Grasso, "Handheld computer application for medical disaster management", Proceedings, Proceedings of the AMIA 2006 Annual Fall Symposium, November 2006, 1395 downloads.
16. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Survey of handheld computing among medical students", Article, Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, June 2006.
17. Michael A. Grasso, "Clinical applications of handheld computing", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 17th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2004.
18. Michael A. Grasso, "The long-term adoption of speech recognition in medical applications", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 16th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2003.
19. Michael A. Grasso, "Interdisciplinary computer science, guest editor introduction", Article, ACM Crossroads, March 2003, 947 downloads.
20. Michael A. Grasso, "Structured speech input for clinical data collection", Proceedings, Proceedings of the 15th IEEE Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, June 2002.
21. Michael A. Grasso et al., "The Integrality of Speech in Multimodal Interfaces", Article, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, November 1998, 2805 downloads.
22. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Acceptance of a Speech Interface for Biomedical Data Collection", Article, Proceedings of the AMIA 1997 Annual Fall Symposium, October 1997, 1936 downloads.
23. Michael A. Grasso, "Speech Input in Multimodal Environments: Effects of Perceptual Structure on Speed, Accuracy, and Acceptance", PhdThesis, , May 1997, 2257 downloads.
24. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Task Integration in Multimodal Speech Recognition Environments", Article, Crossroads, April 1997, 2041 downloads.
25. Michael A. Grasso, "Automated speech recognition in medical applications", Article, MD Computing, January 1995.
26. Michael A. Grasso et al., "Feasibility study of voice-driven data collection in animal drug toxicology studies", Article, Computers in Biology and Medicine, July 1994.
1 Non-Refereed Publication
1. Michael A. Grasso et al., "The Effect of Perceptual Structure on Multimodal Speech Recognition Interfaces", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, January 1998, 496 downloads.
Michael A. Grasso is associated with 1 project: Hide the list...