Affiliated Faculty, Faculty
Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, 1000 Hilltop CIrcle, Baltimore, MD 21250, United States
Dr. Milton Halem is a research professor in the UMBC Computer Science and Electrical Engineering department. He also holds an Emeritus position as Chief Information Research Scientist to the Director of the Earth Sciences Directorate at the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Prior to retiring in 2002, Dr. Halem served in the joint capacity as Assistant Director for Information Sciences and Chief Information Officer for the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Dr. Halem provided the strategic information science and technology focus and oversight for the entire mission critical programs and projects at the Center. He is most noted for his ground breaking research in simulation studies of space observing systems and for development of four dimensional data assimilation for weather and climate prediction. Over the years, his achievements have earned him numerous awards including the NASA Medal for Exceptional Scientific Achievement, the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership, and NASA s highest award; the NASA Distinguished Service Medal in 1996.Dr. Halem is also a noted screen printmaker of Art from Space.
- J. Sleeman, T. Finin, and M. Halem, "Ontology-Grounded Topic Modeling for Climate Science Research", InCollection, Emerging Topics in Semantic Technologies. ISWC 2018 Satellite Events, October 2018, 74 downloads.
- J. Sleeman, T. Finin, M. Cane, and M. Halem, "Discovering Scientific Influence using Cross-Domain Dynamic Topic Modeling", InProceedings, IEEE International Conference on Big Data, December 2017, 282 downloads.
- J. Sleeman, M. Halem, T. Finin, and M. Cane, "Modeling the Evolution of Climate Change Assessment Research Using Dynamic Topic Models and Cross-Domain Divergence Maps", InProceedings, AAAI Spring Symposium on AI for Social Good, March 2017, 916 downloads.
- J. Sleeman, M. Halem, T. Finin, and M. Cane, "Advanced Large Scale Cross Domain Temporal Topic Modeling Algorithms to Infer the Influence of Recent Research on IPCC Assessment Reports", InProceedings, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2016, December 2016, 725 downloads.
- J. Sleeman, M. Halem, T. Finin, and M. Cane, "Dynamic Topic Modeling to Infer the Influence of Research Citations on IPCC Assessment Reports", InProceedings, Big Data Challenges, Research, and Technologies in the Earth and Planetary Sciences Workshop, IEEE Int. Conf. on Big Data, December 2016, 548 downloads.
- K. P. Joshi, M. Halem, Y. Yesha, J. E. Dorband, and e., "USM Community Cloud: VCL-based Academic Cloud", InProceedings, 2nd International IBM Cloud Academy Conference ICA CON 2014, Atlanta, May 2014, 1162 downloads.
- C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, and M. Halem, "Tracking Provenance of Earth Science Data", Article, Earth Science Informatics, November 2010, 1101 downloads.
- D. Chapman, K. P. Joshi, Y. Yesha, M. Halem, Y. Yesha, and P. Nguyen, "Scientific Services on the Cloud", InBook, Handbook of Cloud Computing, September 2010, 1056 downloads.
- C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, and M. Halem, "Provenance Artifact Identification in the Atmospheric Composition Processing System (ACPS)", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, February 2010, 705 downloads, 1 citation.
- J. Kim, S. Lee, M. Halem, and Y. Peng, "Semantic Similarity Analysis of XML Schema using Grid Computing", InProceedings, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, August 2009, 143 downloads.
- M. Halem, C. Tilmes, Y. Yesha, D. Chapman, and P. Nguyen, "Providing Gridded Atmospheric Radiance Products and Services from MODIS and AIRS Instruments on NASA's Aqua Satellite", Article, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2008., February 2009.
- M. Halem, N. Most, C. Tilmes, K. Stewart, Y. Yesha, D. Chapman, and P. Nguyen, "Service-Oriented Atmospheric Radiances (SOAR): Gridding and Analysis Services for Multisensor Aqua IR Radiance Data for Climate Studies", Article, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, January 2009.
- M. Halem, Y. Yesha, C. Tilmes, D. Chapman, N. Most, and A. Bertolli, "SOAR: A System for the Analysis of Atmospheric Radiances", InProceedings, EOS Transactions, December 2007.
- M. Halem, Y. Yesha, C. Tilmes, D. Chapman, M. Goldberg, and L. Zhou, "A Web Service Tool (SOAR) for the Dynamic Generation of L1 Grids of Coincident AIRS, AMSU and MODIS Satellite Sounding Radiance Data for Climate Studies", Article, EOS Transactions, June 2007.
- M. Halem, A. Patwardhan, S. Dornbush, M. Seablom, and Y. Yesha, "Sensor Web Design Studies for Realtime Dynamic Congestion Pricing", Proceedings, PerTrans07, March 2007, 3115 downloads.
- M. Halem and R. Schauer, "A Mass Storage System Administrator Autonomic Assistant", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Autonomic Computing, June 2005, 1932 downloads.