October 1, 2007 - August 1, 2010
Identifying topics and concepts associated with a set of documents is a task common to many applications. It can help in the annotation and categorization of documents and be used to model a person's current interests for improving search results, business intelligence or selecting appropriate advertisements. We are investigating the use of Wikipedia's articles and associated pages as a topic ontology for this purpose. The benefits of the approach are that the ontology terms are developed through a social process, maintained and kept current by the Wikipedia community, represent a consensus view, and have meaning that can be understood by reading the associated pages. We have demonstrated the use of Wikitology to improve the performance of an information retrieval system and as a source of evidence in a intra-document entity co-reference task.
- Z. Syed, L. Han, M. M. Rahman, T. Finin, J. Kukla, and J. Yun, "Querying Large Linked Data Resources", InProceedings, 14th International Semantic Web Conference, October 2015, 498 downloads.
- Z. Syed, L. Han, M. M. Rahman, T. Finin, J. Kukla, and J. Yun, "UMBC_Ebiquity-SFQ: Schema Free Querying System", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Semantic Web Evaluation Challenge, ESWC, June 2015, 533 downloads.
- Z. Syed, T. Finin, M. M. Rahman, J. Kukla, and J. Yun, "Discovering and Querying Hybrid Linked Data", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Meets Linked Open Data co-located with 12th Extended Semantic Web Conference , May 2015, 521 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, "TABEL - A Domain Independent and Extensible Framework for Inferring the Semantics of Tables", PhdThesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, January 2015, 1247 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, Z. Syed, and A. Joshi, "T2LD: Interpreting and Representing Tables as Linked Data", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Poster and Demonstration Session at the 9th International Semantic Web Conference, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, November 2010, 3437 downloads, 2 citations.
- M. Dredze, P. McNamee, D. Rao, A. Gerber, and T. Finin, "Entity Disambiguation for Knowledge Base Population", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics, August 2010, 1530 downloads, 17 citations.
- V. Mulwad, "T2LD - An automatic framework for extracting, interpreting and representing tables as Linked Data", MastersThesis, UMBC, August 2010, 2507 downloads.
- Z. Syed, T. Finin, V. Mulwad, and A. Joshi, "Exploiting a Web of Semantic Data for Interpreting Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second Web Science Conference, April 2010, 3965 downloads, 6 citations.
- T. Finin and Z. Syed, "Creating and Exploiting a Web of Semantic Data", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence, January 2010, 4246 downloads, 9 citations.
- T. Finin, Z. Syed, J. Mayfield, P. McNamee, and C. Piatko, "Using Wikitology for Cross-Document Entity Coreference Resolution", InProceedings, Proceedings of the AAAI Spring Symposium on Learning by Reading and Learning to Read, March 2009, 2276 downloads, 7 citations.
- Z. Syed, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Wikitology: Wikipedia as an ontology", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference, October 2008.
- Z. Syed, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Wikipedia as an Ontology for Describing Documents", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, March 2008, 8312 downloads, 34 citations.
- Z. Syed and A. Joshi, "Wikitology: Using Wikipedia as an Ontology", TechReport, February 2008, 5355 downloads.