Semantic Cloud Services Framework
Status: Active project
Delivery of IT Service is moving away from a single provider mode, and is increasingly based on the composition of multiple services and assets (technological, human, or process) that may be supplied by one or more service providers distributed across the network – in the cloud. Moreover, a single service could be a part of many composite services as needed. The service, in effect, is virtualized on the cloud. This project is developing an integrated methodology for IT Services delivered on the cloud. The project will also involve developing ontology for this methodology.
We are developing a semantically rich, policy-based framework to automate the lifecycle of cloud services. We have divided the IT service lifecycle into the five phases of requirements, discovery, negotiation, composition, and consumption. We detail each phase and describe the high level ontologies that we have developed to describe them.
Our research complements previous work on ontologies for service descriptions in that it goes beyond simple matchmaking and is focused on supporting negotiation for the particulars of IT services.
Start Date: May 2009
End Date: December 2020
There are 16 associated publications: Hide the list...
15 Refereed Publications
1. Sudip Mittal et al., "Automatic Extraction of Metrics from SLAs for Cloud Service Management", InProceedings, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E 2016), April 2016, 594 downloads.
2. Amit Hendre et al., "A Semantic Approach to Cloud Security and Compliance", InProceedings, 8th International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), June 2015, 502 downloads.
3. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Automating Cloud Services Lifecycle through Semantic technologies", Article, IEEE Transactions on Service Computing, January 2014, 1387 downloads.
4. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A policy-based cloud broker for the VCL platform", Article, International Journal of Cloud Computing, January 2013, 964 downloads.
5. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A Policy-based Approach to Smart Cloud Services", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Annual Service Research and Innovation Institute Global Conference, July 2012, 1128 downloads.
6. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Policy based Cloud Services on a VCL platform", InProceedings, Proceedings of the first International IBM Cloud Academy Conference (ICA CON 2012), April 2012, 1743 downloads.
7. Karuna Pande Joshi, "DC Proposal: Automation of Service Lifecycle on the Cloud by Using Semantic Technologies", InProceedings, Proceedings of tenth International Semantic Web Conference, Part II, October 2011, 1033 downloads.
8. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Determining value co-creation opportunity in B2B services", InProceedings, Proceedings of SRII Global Conference 2011, March 2011, 1923 downloads.
9. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Managing the Quality of Virtualized Services", InProceedings, Proceedings of the SRII Global Conference 2011, March 2011, 1117 downloads.
10. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "User-centric Smart Services on the Cloud", InBook, The Smart Internet, October 2010, 1064 downloads.
11. David Chapman et al., "Scientific Services on the Cloud ", InBook, Handbook of Cloud Computing, September 2010, 952 downloads.
12. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., " Integrated Lifecycle of IT Services in a Cloud Environment (Detailed paper)", InProceedings, In proceedings of The Third International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2009), April 2010, 1824 downloads.
13. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "User-centric Smart Services", Proceedings, (Invited paper) in proceedings of CASCON 2009, November 2009, 1683 downloads.
14. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Quality metrics for Virtualized IT Services on the Cloud", InProceedings, Proceedings of 18th Annual Frontiers in Service Conference, Hawaii, 2009, October 2009.
15. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "Integrated Lifecycle of IT Services in a Cloud Environment (extended abstract)", InProceedings, In proceedings of The Third International Conference on the Virtual Computing Initiative (ICVCI 2009), October 2009, 1599 downloads.
1 Non-Refereed Publication
1. Karuna Pande Joshi et al., "A Semantic Approach to Automate Service Management in the Cloud ", TechReport, UMBC Tech report TR-CS-11-02, June 2011, 781 downloads.
There are 7 associated resources: Hide the list...
1. IT Service Ontology, Ontology.
4. Ontology for EU's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) , Ontology.
5. Ontology for Services on the Cloud, Ontology.
7. VCL Image ontology, Ontology.