Computer Science, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
Dr. Nicholas is currently a Professor and Chair of the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at UMBC, where he has been on the faculty since 1988. He received the B.S. degree from the University of Michigan - Flint in 1979, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from The Ohio State University in 1982 and 1988, respectively. In addition to his appointment at UMBC, Dr. Nicholas has held appointments at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. He spent academic year 1996-97 on sabbatical at the National Security Agency. Dr. Nicholas' research interests include electronic document processing, information retrieval, and software engineering. His work has been funded by a number of agencies, including NASA, Maryland Industrial Partnerships, DARPA, AFOSR, and the Department of Defense. Dr. Nicholas has served five times as the General Chair of the ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM). He also twice chaired the Workshop on Digital Document Processing. Dr. Nicholas is a member of the Board of Directors of UMBC Training Centers.
- S. Kallurkar, Y. Shi, R. S. Cost, C. Nicholas, A. Java, and e., "UMBC at TREC 12", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Twelfth Text Retrieval Conference, November 2003, 4046 downloads, 8 citations.
- L. Kagal, F. Perich, H. Chen, S. Tolia, Y. Zou, A. Joshi, Y. Peng, R. S. Cost, and C. Nicholas, "Agents Making Sense of the Semantic Web", InProceedings, First GSFC/JPL Workshop on Radical Agent Concepts (WRAC), January 2002, 4141 downloads, 9 citations.
- R. S. Cost, T. Finin, A. Joshi, Y. Peng, C. Nicholas, I. Soboroff, H. Chen, L. Kagal, F. Perich, Y. Zou, and S. Tolia, "ITtalks: A Case Study in the Semantic Web and DAML+OIL", Article, IEEE Intelligent Systems Special Issue, January 2002, 4015 downloads, 66 citations.
- F. Perich, R. S. Cost, T. Finin, A. Joshi, Y. Peng, C. Nicholas, H. Chen, L. Kagal, Y. Zou, and S. Tolia, "ITTALKS: An Application of Agents in the Semantic Web", InProceedings, Engineering Societies in the Agents World (ESAW 2001), December 2001, 4242 downloads, 5 citations.
- R. S. Cost, T. Finin, A. Joshi, Y. Peng, C. Nicholas, H. Chen, L. Kagal, F. Perich, Y. Zou, and S. Tolia, "ITTALKS: A Case Study in the Semantic Web and DAML", InProceedings, International Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS 2001), July 2001, 3925 downloads, 18 citations.
- J. Undercofer, F. Perich, and C. Nicholas, "SHOMAR: An Open Architecture for Distributed Intrusion Detection Services", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, September 2002, 5400 downloads.