Knowledge Discovery Reseacher
Alumnus, Ph.D. Alumnus
Niskayuna, NY , USA
Graduated in May 2015
I am a Knowledge Discovery Researcher in the Knowledge Discovery Lab at the GE Global Research Center (GRC) in Niskayuna, NY. My work at GE GRC focuses on using Semantic Web technologies and Natural Language Processing to help incorporate Artificial Intelligence and analytics in tools for GE's businesses such as Healthcare, Power, Digital, their customers as well as initiatives such as the Digital Twin.
I received my Ph.D. (2015) and M.S. (2010) in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). At UMBC, I was a member of the Ebiquity Research Lab, where I worked under the guidance of my guru, Prof. Tim Finin. I also closely collaborated with Prof. Anupam Joshi. I completed my B.E. in Computer Engineering from the University of Mumbai in 2007.
My research interests include the Semantic Web, Linked Data, Information extraction/text analysis and Machine Learning. My projects have broadly focused on extracting information and adding semantics to unstructured or semi-structured data. My Ph.D. dissertation research focused on developing TABEL -- a domain independent and extensible framework for inferring the semantics of tables found on the web and in medical papers. I developed novel techniques to map column headers to classes, table cell values to entities and pair of columns to relations from a given ontology and a knowledge graph. I also developed a novel Semantic Message Passing scheme which incorporates semantics into message passing, to perform joint inference over a probabilistic graphical model of a table.
- V. Mulwad, V. S. Kumar, J. W. Williams, T. Finin, S. Dixit, and A. Joshi, "Towards Semantic Exploration of Tables in Scientific Documents", InProceedings, Workshop on Semantic Technologies for Scientific, Technical and Legal Data, Extended Semantic Web Conference, May 2023, 83 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, V. S. Kumar, J. W. Williams, S. Dixit, and A. Joshi, "A Practical Entity Linking System for Tables in Scientific Literature", InProceedings, 3rd Workshop on Scientific Document Understanding at AAAI-2023, February 2023, 206 downloads.
- A. Bandi, K. P. Joshi, and V. Mulwad, "Affinity Propagation Initialisation Based Proximity Clustering For Labeling in Natural Language Based Big Data Systems", InProceedings, 6th IEEE International Conference on Big Data Security on Cloud (BigDataSecurity 2020), May 2020, 330 downloads.
- S. Mittal, P. K. Das, V. Mulwad, A. Joshi, and T. Finin, "CyberTwitter: Using Twitter to generate alerts for Cybersecurity Threats and Vulnerabilities", InProceedings, International Symposium on Foundations of Open Source Intelligence and Security Informatics, August 2016, 3654 downloads.
- P. Nimbalkar, V. Mulwad, N. Puranik, A. Joshi, and T. Finin, "Semantic Interpretation of Structured Log Files", InProceedings, 17th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, July 2016, 1014 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, "TABEL - A Domain Independent and Extensible Framework for Inferring the Semantics of Tables", PhdThesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, January 2015, 2453 downloads.
- R. Yus, V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and E. Mena, "Infoboxer: Using Statistical and Semantic Knowledge to Help Create Wikipedia Infoboxes", InProceedings, 13th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2014), Riva del Garda (Italy), October 2014, 1028 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Interpreting Medical Tables as Linked Data to Generate Meta-Analysis Reports", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, August 2014, 1169 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Semantic Message Passing for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 12th International Semantic Web Conference, October 2013, 2070 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "A Domain Independent Framework for Extracting Linked Semantic Data from Tables", InCollection, Search Computing - Broadening Web Search, July 2012, 1656 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Automatically Generating Government Linked Data from Tables", InCollection, Working notes of AAAI Fall Symposium on Open Government Knowledge: AI Opportunities and Challenges, November 2011, 3144 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, "DC Proposal: Graphical Models and Probabilistic Reasoning for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of Tenth International Semantic Web Conference, Part II, October 2011, 2454 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Generating Linked Data by Inferring the Semantics of Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Searching and Integrating New Web Data Sources, September 2011, 3238 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, W. Li, A. Joshi, T. Finin, and K. Viswanathan, "Extracting Information about Security Vulnerabilities from Web Text", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Web Intelligence for Information Security Workshop, August 2011, 3036 downloads.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, Z. Syed, and A. Joshi, "Using linked data to interpret tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the the First International Workshop on Consuming Linked Data, November 2010, 2938 downloads, 7 citations.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, Z. Syed, and A. Joshi, "T2LD: Interpreting and Representing Tables as Linked Data", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Poster and Demonstration Session at the 9th International Semantic Web Conference, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, November 2010, 5086 downloads, 2 citations.
- V. Mulwad, "T2LD - An automatic framework for extracting, interpreting and representing tables as Linked Data", MastersThesis, UMBC, August 2010, 3434 downloads.
- Z. Syed, T. Finin, V. Mulwad, and A. Joshi, "Exploiting a Web of Semantic Data for Interpreting Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second Web Science Conference, April 2010, 5295 downloads, 6 citations.
- V. Mulwad, T. Finin, and A. Joshi, "Semantic Message Passing for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, under review, November 1999.
- Automatic Interpretation of Log Files, Ph.D. Student
- MTLD: Interpreting Medical Tables as Linked Data, Ph.D. Student
- Swoogle, M.S. Student
- Tables to Linked Data, Ph.D. Student