I am a Knowledge Discovery Researcher in the Knowledge Discovery Lab at the GE Global Research Center (GRC) in Niskayuna, NY. My work at GE GRC focuses on using Semantic Web technologies and Natural Language Processing to help incorporate Artificial Intelligence and analytics in tools for GE's businesses such as Healthcare, Power, Digital, their customers as well as initiatives such as the Digital Twin.
I received my Ph.D. (2015) and M.S. (2010) in Computer Science from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). At UMBC, I was a member of the Ebiquity Research Lab, where I worked under the guidance of my guru, Prof. Tim Finin. I also closely collaborated with Prof. Anupam Joshi. I completed my B.E. in Computer Engineering from the University of Mumbai in 2007.
My research interests include the Semantic Web, Linked Data, Information extraction/text analysis and Machine Learning. My projects have broadly focused on extracting information and adding semantics to unstructured or semi-structured data. My Ph.D. dissertation research focused on developing TABEL -- a domain independent and extensible framework for inferring the semantics of tables found on the web and in medical papers. I developed novel techniques to map column headers to classes, table cell values to entities and pair of columns to relations from a given ontology and a knowledge graph. I also developed a novel Semantic Message Passing scheme which incorporates semantics into message passing, to perform joint inference over a probabilistic graphical model of a table.
16 Refereed Publications
1. Sudip Mittal et al., "CyberTwitter: Using Twitter to generate alerts for Cybersecurity Threats and Vulnerabilities", InProceedings, International Symposium on Foundations of Open Source Intelligence and Security Informatics, August 2016, 1006 downloads.
2. Piyush Nimbalkar et al., "Semantic Interpretation of Structured Log Files", InProceedings, 17th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, July 2016, 357 downloads.
3. Varish Mulwad, "TABEL - A Domain Independent and Extensible Framework for Inferring the Semantics of Tables", PhdThesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, January 2015, 1022 downloads.
4. Roberto Yus et al., "Infoboxer: Using Statistical and Semantic Knowledge to Help Create Wikipedia Infoboxes", InProceedings, 13th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2014), Riva del Garda (Italy), October 2014, 477 downloads.
5. Varish Mulwad et al., "Interpreting Medical Tables as Linked Data to Generate Meta-Analysis Reports", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration, August 2014, 529 downloads.
6. Varish Mulwad et al., "Semantic Message Passing for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 12th International Semantic Web Conference, October 2013, 1369 downloads.
7. Varish Mulwad et al., "A Domain Independent Framework for Extracting Linked Semantic Data from Tables", InCollection, Search Computing - Broadening Web Search, July 2012, 1063 downloads.
8. Varish Mulwad et al., "Automatically Generating Government Linked Data from Tables", InCollection, Working notes of AAAI Fall Symposium on Open Government Knowledge: AI Opportunities and Challenges, November 2011, 2191 downloads.
9. Varish Mulwad, "DC Proposal: Graphical Models and Probabilistic Reasoning for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of Tenth International Semantic Web Conference, Part II, October 2011, 1594 downloads.
10. Varish Mulwad et al., "Generating Linked Data by Inferring the Semantics of Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Searching and Integrating New Web Data Sources, September 2011, 1867 downloads.
11. Varish Mulwad et al., "Extracting Information about Security Vulnerabilities from Web Text", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Web Intelligence for Information Security Workshop, August 2011, 2184 downloads.
12. Varish Mulwad et al., "Using linked data to interpret tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the the First International Workshop on Consuming Linked Data, November 2010, 1951 downloads.
13. Varish Mulwad et al., "T2LD: Interpreting and Representing Tables as Linked Data ", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Poster and Demonstration Session at the 9th International Semantic Web Conference, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, November 2010, 3073 downloads.
14. Varish Mulwad, "T2LD - An automatic framework for extracting, interpreting and representing tables as Linked Data", MastersThesis, UMBC, August 2010, 2334 downloads.
15. Zareen Syed et al., "Exploiting a Web of Semantic Data for Interpreting Tables", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second Web Science Conference, April 2010, 3713 downloads.
16. Varish Mulwad et al., "Semantic Message Passing for Generating Linked Data from Tables", InProceedings, under review, November 1999.
Varish Mulwad is associated with 4 projects: Hide the list...