Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Baltimore, MD 21250
Tim Oates is an associate professor in the Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at the University of Maryland Baltimore County, and he is director of the university’s Cognition, Robotics, and Learning Laboratory. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 2001 and spent a year as a postdoc in the MIT AI lab. His research interests include the sensorimotor origins of knowledge, language learning, grammar induction, automated development of representation.
- A. Ganesan, F. Ferraro, and T. Oates, "Learning a Reversible Embedding Mapping using Bi-Directional Manifold Alignment", InProceedings, Findings of the Association for Computational Linguistics, August 2021, 213 downloads.
- A. Ganesan, F. Ferraro, and T. Oates, "Locality Preserving Loss: Neighbors that Live together, Align together", InProceedings, AdaptNPT: The Second Workshop on Domain Adaptation for NLP at EACL, April 2021, 140 downloads.
- A. Ganesan, F. Ferraro, and T. Oates, "Locality Preserving Loss to Align Vector Spaces", Article, arXiv:2004.03734 [cs.LG], April 2020, 207 downloads.
- S. N. Narayanan, A. Ganesan, K. P. Joshi, T. Oates, A. Joshi, and T. Finin, "Early Detection of Cybersecurity Threats Using Collaborative Cognition", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Collaboration and Internet Computing (CIC), October 2018, 2520 downloads.
- B. Thuraisingham, M. Kantarcioglu, K. Hamlen, L. Khan, T. Finin, A. Joshi, T. Oates, and E. Bertino, "A Data Driven Approach for the Science of Cyber Security: Challenges and Directions", InProceedings, IEEE Conference on Information Reuse and Integration,, July 2016, 1317 downloads.
- P. McNamee, J. Mayfield, T. Finin, T. Oates, D. Lawrie, T. Xu, and D. Oard, "KELVIN: a tool for automated knowledge base construction", InProceedings, Proc. Conf. of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, June 2013, 1220 downloads.
- P. McNamee, v. Stoyanov, J. Mayfield, T. Finin, T. Oates, T. Xu, D. Oard, and D. Lawrie, "HLTCOE Participation at TAC 2012: Entity Linking and Cold Start Knowledge Base Construction", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Fifth Text Analysis Conference (TAC 2012), November 2012, 1180 downloads.
- v. Stoyanov, J. Mayfield, T. Xu, D. Oard, D. Lawrie, T. Oates, and T. Finin, "A Context-Aware Approach to Entity Linking", InProceedings, Joint Workshop on Automatic Knowledge Base Construction and Web-scale Knowledge Extraction, June 2012, 2687 downloads.
- K. Krishnaswamy, J. Sleeman, and T. Oates, "Real-Time Path Planning for a Robotic Arm", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments , May 2011, 1731 downloads.
- D. Chinavle, P. Kolari, T. Oates, and T. Finin, "Ensembles in Adversarial Classification for Spam", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, November 2009, 4107 downloads, 1 citation.
- A. Java, P. Kolari, T. Finin, A. Joshi, and T. Oates, "Feeds That Matter: A Study of Bloglines Subscriptions", InProceedings, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), March 2007, 6768 downloads, 17 citations.
- S. Dornbush, J. English, T. Oates, Z. Segall, and A. Joshi, "XPod: A Human Activity Aware Learning Mobile Music Player", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Workshop on Ambient Intelligence, 20th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-2007), January 2007, 4193 downloads, 13 citations.
- P. Kolari, A. Java, T. Finin, T. Oates, and A. Joshi, "Detecting Spam Blogs: A Machine Learning Approach", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 21st National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2006), July 2006, 11133 downloads, 75 citations.
- A. Java, P. Kolari, T. Finin, and T. Oates, "Modeling the Spread of Influence on the Blogosphere", TechReport, UMBC TR-CS-06-03, March 2006, 12350 downloads, 47 citations.
- T. Briggs and T. Oates, "Discovering Domain-Specific Composite Kernels", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Twentieth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence and the Seventeenth Annual Conference on Innovative Applications of Artificial intelligence, July 2005, 1924 downloads.
- W. Krueger, J. Nilsson, T. Oates, and T. Finin, "Automatically Generated DAML Markup for Semistructured Documents", InBook, Agent Mediated Knowledge Management,, January 2004, 2173 downloads, 11 citations.