Harry Chen is a Senior Application Engineer at a Silicon Valley startup, working on exciting new technology that will change the way people use the internet.
He holds a computer science PhD. degree from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). He was awarded a PhD fellowship from HP Labs for his work on intelligent agents in mobile and pervasive computing.
His research interests include artificial intelligence, mobile computing and the web information systems. During his tenure as a Computer Scientist/Senior Software Engineer at Image Matters LLC. He developed gnizr, an open source project that explores the use of Semantic Web technology and folksonomy in social bookmarking.
Dr. Chen taught Social Web Technologies at UMBC. He is a founding member of the UMBC eBiquity Research Group and the eBiquity Blog (previously known as ebiquity.org). He enjoys blogging and traveling. His recent blogging adventure includes the Geospatial Semantic Web Blog, and Harry Chen’s Mobile Blog.
31 Refereed Publications
1. Harry Chen et al., "The SOUPA Ontology for Pervasive Computing", InBook, Ontologies for Agents: Theory and Experiences, July 2005, 5030 downloads.
2. Harry Chen, "An Intelligent Broker Architecture for Pervasive Context-Aware Systems", PhdThesis, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, December 2004, 6137 downloads.
3. Lalana Kagal et al., "Security, Privacy and Trust in Mobile Computing Environments", InBook, Handbook of Mobile Computing, Editors Imad Mahgoub and Mohammad Ilyas, December 2004.
4. Youyong Zou et al., "F-OWL: an Inference Engine for the Semantic Web ", InBook, Formal Approaches to Agent-Based Systems, November 2004, 9357 downloads.
5. Harry Chen et al., "Intelligent Agents Meet the Semantic Web in Smart Spaces", Article, IEEE Internet Computing, November 2004, 4659 downloads.
6. Harry Chen et al., "SOUPA: Standard Ontology for Ubiquitous and Pervasive Applications", InProceedings, International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Networking and Services, August 2004, 10661 downloads.
7. Harry Chen et al., "Intelligent Agents Meet Semantic Web in a Smart Meeting Room", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Third International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents & Multi Agent Systems (AAMAS 2004), July 2004, 4867 downloads.
8. Harry Chen et al., "An Ontology for Context-Aware Pervasive Computing Environments", Article, Special Issue on Ontologies for Distributed Systems, Knowledge Engineering Review, May 2004, 6888 downloads.
9. Harry Chen et al., "Building an Autonomous Broker Agent for Smart Meeting Rooms", InBook, Submitted to Robotics and Autonomous Systems, April 2004.
10. Harry Chen et al., "The SOUPA Ontology for Pervasive Computing", InBook, Ontologies for agents: Theory and experiences, April 2004, 951 downloads.
11. Harry Chen et al., "A Context Broker for Building Smart Meeting Rooms", Proceedings, Proceedings of the AAAI Symposium on Knowledge Representation and Ontology for Autonomous Systems Symposium, 2004 AAAI Spring Symposium, March 2004, 7591 downloads.
12. Harry Chen et al., "Semantic Web in in the Context Broker Architecture", InProceedings, Proceedings of the Second Annual IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computer and Communications, March 2004, 9623 downloads.
13. Harry Chen et al., "An Intelligent Broker for Context-Aware Systems", Article, Adjunct Proceedings of Ubicomp 2003, October 2003, 3350 downloads.
14. Harry Chen et al., "Semantic Web in a Pervasive Context-Aware Architecture", InProceedings, Workshop on Artificial Intelligence in Mobile System, 5th Annual Conf. on Ubiquitous Computing, October 2003, 7036 downloads.
15. Youyong Zou et al., "Using Semantic web technology in Multi-Agent systems: a case study in the TAGA Trading agent environment", InProceedings, Proceeding of the 5th International Conference on Electronic Commerce, September 2003, 3218 downloads.
16. Harry Chen et al., "An Ontology for Context-Aware Pervasive Computing Environments", Article, Workshop on Ontologies and Distributed Systems, August 2003, 5905 downloads.
17. Harry Chen et al., "Using OWL in a Pervasive Computing Broker", Article, Workshop on Ontologies in Agent Systems, AAMAS-2003, July 2003, 2678 downloads.
18. Tim Finin et al., "Intelligent Agents for Mobile and Embedded Devices", Article, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, December 2002, 3248 downloads.
19. Tim Finin et al., "Information agents for mobile and embedded devices", Article, International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, September 2002, 922 downloads.
20. Harry Chen et al., "Beyond Distributed AI, Agent Teamwork in Ubiquitous Computing", Article, Workshop on Ubiquitous Agents on Embedded, Wearable, and Mobile Devices, AAMAS-2002, July 2002, 2707 downloads.
21. Lalana Kagal et al., "Agents Making Sense of the Semantic Web", InProceedings, First GSFC/JPL Workshop on Radical Agent Concepts (WRAC), January 2002, 3664 downloads.
22. Sasikanth Avancha et al., "Issues in Data Management for Pervasive Environments", InProceedings, NSF Workshop on Context-Aware Mobile Database Management, January 2002, 3625 downloads.
23. R. Scott Cost et al., "ITtalks: A Case Study in the Semantic Web and DAML+OIL", Article, IEEE Intelligent Systems Special Issue, January 2002, 3521 downloads.
24. Filip Perich et al., "ITTALKS: An Application of Agents in the Semantic Web", InProceedings, Engineering Societies in the Agents World (ESAW 2001), December 2001, 3713 downloads.
25. Harry Chen et al., "Creating Context-Aware Software Agents", Article, First GSFC/JPL Workshop on Radical Agent Concepts, September 2001, 2896 downloads.
26. R. Scott Cost et al., "ITTALKS: A Case Study in the Semantic Web and DAML", InProceedings, International Semantic Web Working Symposium (SWWS 2001), July 2001, 3616 downloads.
27. Lalana Kagal et al., "Centaurus : A Framework for Intelligent Services in a Mobile Environment", InProceedings, International Workshop of Smart Appliances and Wearable Computing at the 21st International Conference of Distributed Computing Systems, April 2001, 5134 downloads.
28. Harry Chen et al., "Dynamic Service Discovery for Mobile Computing: Intelligent Agents Meet Jini in the Aether", Article, Cluster Computing, February 2001, 3079 downloads.
29. Harry Chen et al., "Service Discovery in the Future Electronic Market", Article, Workshop on Knowledge-based Electronic Markets, AAAI-2000, July 2000, 2067 downloads.
30. Dipanjan Chakraborty et al., "Service Discovery in The Future for Mobile Commerce", Article, ACM Crossroads, November 1999, 2554 downloads.
31. Yun Peng et al., "An Agent System for Application Initialization in an Integrated Manufacturing Environment", InProceedings, Proceedings of the 3rd. World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics and The 5th. Int'l Conference on Information Systems Analysis and Synthesis (SCI'99/ISAS'99), August 1999, 2466 downloads.
4 Non-Refereed Publications
1. Harry Chen et al., "A Pervasive Computing Ontology for User Privacy Protection in the Context Broker Architecture", TechReport, University of Maryland, Baltimore County, July 2004, 3957 downloads.
2. Harry Chen, "An Intelligent Broker Architecture for Context-Aware Systems", TechReport, PhD Dissertation Proposal, December 2002, 8700 downloads.
3. Harry Chen et al., "Steps Towards Creating a Context-Aware Agent System", TechReport, , September 2001, 2541 downloads.
4. Harry Chen, "Developing a Dynamic Distributed Intelligent Agent Framework Based on the Jini Architecture", TechReport, Master's thesis, December 1999.
Harry Chen is associated with 11 projects: Hide the list...
Suggestions for Future Projects